Friday, August 19, 2011

Who are you?

This is a quote that has been on my mind for the past few weeks. I heard it years ago and loved it so much that I printed it up and put in on fun paper and posted it in my room in college. While I was getting ready for the day I would read it. Recently, I found it tucked away in some books and pulled it out again. Now it is sitting with a bunch of pictures I walk by every day. Then, about 2 weeks ago someone used it in a talk about our divine nature they gave at church. It is a very powerful quote and I love reading it. (I should have it memorized for as often as I look at it but sadly, I don't) It not only is for us to remember about ourselves... but we need to remember it about EVERYONE.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”-- Nelson Mandela

3 comments:

Jared said...

Freaking awesome quote.

Michael and Staci said...

Good quote! Thanks for a thought for my day. :-)

Jill said...

Wow! I don't know how I misseed this post, but that quote is amazing. It is so empowering. I love that part that says it is our light not our darkness that frightens us most. So true. Nelson Mendela is a stud muffin.